Search This Blog

Loading...

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Finally... Candy wrapper purse!

*Assalamualeikum wa rahmatulahi wa barakatuhu and peace*

So... Anyone seen those really amazing candywrapper purses/bags/clutches from Ecoist? When I saw them for the first time, I was speechless... SO cool! And recycled too? Hey, it can't get any better than that!
You know, right until I saw the price...

Courtesy of www.ecoist.com
Gift wrap, maybe?

Courtesy of www.ecoist.com

Courtesy of www.ecoist.com
Courtesy of www.ecoist.com

Courtesy of www.ecoist.com
Maybe I could make one out of tea bags?

Courtesy of www.ecoist.com

But, but... they're soooo awesome... don't you think??
I wasn't going to give up... I GOOGLED the technique! (Oh, dear Professor Google, what would I do without you?)
Though I didn't quite understand the technique at first, I didn't give up. I made chain after chain after chain by collecting LOADS of Quality Street wrappers (don't worry, didn't eat 'em entirely by myself...*gulp*) and wrappers from date bars/pastry called Ma3mool (that's the roman-arabic way of saying it). But I didn't know how to join chains, or sew them together, so I decided just to keep making chains for a while, and I did that for about a year.
THEN! The local youthclub had a bags/purse making class!
I was there two weeks ago, and ended up making this beauty:






Ha! There's my buscard, lipbalm, tissues and miswak!

here's the back side


Initially, I wasn't going to make the flap. I was just going to make classic a rectangular one, with a zip and a strap for the wrist. Then my mum thought "Why not make it a clutch with a flap?".
It was a little hard to incorporate that at first, and it didn't turn out perfect, because of the squares not adding up and such, but you know... :)  I'll figure out the perfect technique soon, inshaAllah. :)

I will be sharing a tutorial as soon as I've worked out the right technique, inshaAllah... Just be patient :)
One thing which was quite unfortunate, was the fact that a few of the strips had faces on, and they JUST happened to turn outwards, so you can see them... Not the nicest thing, but once again, "oh well!"

P.s.
In case you didn't notice, i know the header says "candy wrapper purse", but really this bag was made out of magazine scraps :)

Have you  ever experimented with candy wrapper purses? or jewelry? Please do share!

Anyways, enjoy!
Peace out!


Yours sincerely,
The Creative Muslimah

8 comments:

  1. Te ha quedado estupendo, ya harás un tutorial. Besos

    ReplyDelete
  2. MashaAllah such an amzing talent and it looks great! Can't wait to see your tutorial! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks fab! Can't wait for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I love it. This is definetely going to be on my future DIY projects list :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Assalamu Alaykum sister! Masha'Allah, you have a very creative blog. I love art =) jazakallah khair for sharing...
    I would love if you take the time to be my follower too! ^.^
    http://www.danasdiarysecrets.blogspot.com/
    take care
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You njust think of so many amazing things! And that is why I know I was write in choosing you for the Kreativ Blogger award! It's okay if you don't do awards, I just wanted to let you know it is here...

    http://whosyoureditor.blogspot.com/2012/03/another-sunny-day-and-two-lovely-awards.html

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...